Teddy’s Strange Taste

The post Teddy’s Strange Taste appeared first on Katzenworld - Welcome to the world of cats!.

For the past six years Teddy has had the strange habit of eating fur.

Teddysofa

This is called pica, where cats eat non food items.  There are a number of causes, from an underlying illness, vitamin deficiency to stress.  In Teddy’s case it’s stress.

teddyjoey

I can trace it back to 2013, when I brought a stray cat into the house.  It took awhile for Teddy to get used to Joey.  You can see them in this photo.  They would spend time together, but later I would find Teddy pulling and eating his own fur.   He would also search the floor for any loose fur.  The next day I would find a furball.

Teddyfur1

Eating non food items can be serious and cause blockage in the intestines.  If you notice your cat with this behavior, have the vet check to see what the cause could be.

The use of pheromone spray, keeping the floors free from fur and distracting him with toys has helped.  Joey passed away last year and there are times I still find Teddy with fur in his mouth.  He doesn’t eat as much, but will come to me to have it removed.

I don’t know if pica runs in families, but Teddy’s brother Sammy loved wool.  I was told that this can occur if the kitten is weaned from the mother too early.  We couldn’t leave a wool blanket or sweater lying around.

Does your cat have a taste for anything strange?

The post Teddy’s Strange Taste appeared first on Katzenworld.



from Katzenworld https://ift.tt/2ZsD18A

Comments

Popular Posts